Sunday, March 20, 2011

Honey sesame glazed salmon and green beans

We bought salmon fillets. I did not have a plan for them other than knowing that they would eventually end up in our tummies. So when I decided to cook them I started looking at recipes online and I saw one that was honey glazed salmon made with honey and soy sauce. It got my mind spinning because that sounded like a good start but not quite enough for me. I was also out of soy sauce because I used it all when I made chicken and vegetable fried rice last week. I decided to do an Asian themed honey glaze for my salmon so I went on a hunt in my fridge and cupboards and this is what I came up with.


I started with about 1/4 cup each of the honey and Lawry's sesame ginger sauce. to that I added the juice of half a lime, 1 TBSP of whole grain mustard, 2 tsp hoisin sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil (awesome flavor, do not skip this step!), 1/2-1 tsp of chili garlic paste (add more or less or even none depending on how much spice you like in your food), and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce. I just mixed all of this together to form my glaze.


I covered the salmon in a light coating of the glaze and let it marinate for about 20 minutes while I was getting my other side dishes ready.



I bought some beautiful green beans at my favorite farmers market so they were the perfect veggie to go with this meal. I just snapped off both ends and washed them and then put them in my pan with about 1 cup of water. I brought it to a boil and left the lid off so the water could evaporate. When all the water was gone I added 1 tsp of butter, 1 tsp of garlic powder, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Then I sauteed them a few more minutes and they were ready to go.


My other side dish was this herb and butter rice a roni. I only added 1 tsp of butter instead of the 2 TBSP they called for and it was still just fine. It was a good neutral but still savory flavor to go with the fish.




I put the fish on my George Foremen grill for about 3 1/2 minutes and it was done in a snap. Then I plated everything and drizzled another couple TBSP of the glaze over the fish. To finish it off I gave it a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds.

This was one of those meals that is soooooo good it almost curls your toes ;) The glaze I made for the fish was out of this world. It turned out almost like a sweet and sour sauce but with so much more depth of flavor than your average sweet and sour. The green beans were totally yummy (my husband LOVED them). This absolutely made me HAPPY!

My dear son Griffin (1 year old) wanted nothing to do with the fish or green beans :( but ate the rice. We need to work on getting him a more refined palate! ;)


What I would do differently next time: NOTHING, it was perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comment with me. I love hearing from you!