Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chicken salad and baked onion rings

I went to a baby shower 2 Sundays ago where they served chicken salad with grapes and walnuts and it was such an interesting mixture with the savory chicken the sweet grapes and the crunchy walnuts, so I had to try it. This is where the second chicken I roasted Monday ended up :)


First I cut up all the leftover chicken into small pieces.



Next I mixed up the sauce. I combined 1 cup mayo, the juice of half a lemon, salt and pepper to taste (about a tsp of each), 1 TBSP of Worcestershire sauce, 2 TBSP whole grain mustard, 1 tsp of garlic powder. I mixed all the ingredients together is a separate bowl first and then added to the chicken.


Next I cut my grapes into 4ths. You can also cut them in half if you like bigger chunks. I mixed in the grapes and walnut peices I bought from my local grocery store and it was ready to go.



I was also craving onion rings and just knew there had to be a way to make them low fat, so I looked it up and found a wonderful looking recipe here. The onions were breaded with baked potato chips, how could that not be good? I tweaked her recipe just a tiny bit but basically did the same thing. I also wanted onion ring sauce and found a recipe I liked here so that was added to the menu as well. First thing I did was crush my potato chips into crumbs. I used my magic bullet, but a food processor would work well too. I got the Parmesan and Tuscan herb because the extra flavor couldn't hurt could it?



Then cut my onions into 1/2 inch rounds and threw them into a ziplock bag with enough flour to coat them. Next I dipped them into a mixture of 1 cup low fat butter milk, 2 TBSP flour, salt and pepper. And lastly covered them with the potato chip crumbs.

 



Then I put them in the oven at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes. They came out SOOOOOO great. Even better than I thought. Totally satisfied my craving and I will absolutely make them again. Great on their own but paired with the sauce they were to die for! Honestly just as good as regular onion rings and I would even say better for the lack of greasiness.



I made the onion ring sauce with (I honestly didn't measure but this is the recipe I used as a template) I definitely added more horseradish sauce to mine than they did and I also added about 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika to add some smokiness.

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons ketchup
2 tablespoons cream-style horseradish
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
Dash ground black pepper
a few dashes of sriracha

This sauce was AWESOME sooooooo sooooo good! I loved it :)






A very satisfying meal! The chicken salad was beautiful and creamy with a nice kick from the lemon and mustard. It was balanced very nicely with the sweetness from the grapes and the walnut crunch was just the added texture it needed. The onion rings were divine and the onion ring sauce was so good I could've eaten it plain!


What I would do differently next time: For the amount of chicken I had I would've made a double batch of sauce. It tasted perfect right after I made it but because I made it about 3 hours before dinner, by the time we ate the chicken had absorbed most of the dressing and it wasn't quite as saucy as I would've liked it to be. I would also have made more onion rings sauce I ran out of sauce before onion rings!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comment with me. I love hearing from you!