Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Breakfast Burrito for Lunch!

So this afternoon when I asked my husband the all important question "so what do you want for lunch?" his response was "how about an egg sandwich?" ok I thought, that should be easy, but how to make it healthy and still taste good? So my brain started spinning, a peak in the fridge at what I had and it all became clear to me. A breakfast errr ummm lunch burrito ;) Here's what I did.

For enough to feed two people all you need is a few whole wheat tortillas, an onion, one potato, one pepper, two eggs, and one turkey sausage patty.


First I chopped the potato up into tiny hash brown sized pieces, then since it was raw I added about 1/2 cup water to the pan covered with the lid and turned onto medium high. I left it to simmer for about 5 minutes until all the water was gone and then added cooking spray to the pan and left the potatoes alone to fry for another few minutes to brown up on the bottom. Now this was my first attempt at low fat hash browns so we definitely had some sticking problems but nothing too bad. When the potatoes were cooked through and golden brown I took them out of the pan and set them to the side so I could use the pan for the eggs. Don't forget to add a little bit of salt to the potatoes when you take them off.


Next I scrambled one whole egg and one egg white together with a little bit of salt and black pepper and then set that to the side


I chopped up the onion, green pepper and turkey sausage into little pieces and then sauteed them.

Then I layered first potato, then egg, then veggies and sausage. Top it all with your favorite BBQ sauce and there you have it breakfast burrito for lunch :) Jeremy and I were both big fans so I will definitely make this again.

What I would do differently next time: I would have put a bit of BBQ sauce between the other layers too because I love sauce and it just didn't have enough! I also would have warmed my oven a bit and kept the ingredients toasty as I was cooking the next batch because it wasn't quite as hot as I would have liked it. Other than that it was perfect :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comment with me. I love hearing from you!